Virtualmin error while installing on Ubuntu 10.4

While I am very comfortable using Linux via a command line shell, I think all of us can admit that occasionally we need to look up a command or two due to non-regular use. Because time is short, and can be expensive when we have tons to do, I usually install Virtualmin (which also installs Webmin) on most of my servers. It is simply easier to login and get things done quickly.

Well, as I was setting up a new server at my hosting provider today and installing Virtualmin I ran into a little problem. The server was a fresh install, and Virtualmin would not install on my fresh load of Ubuntu 10.4 (which is a supported OS by Virtualmin). Instead I received the error:

... No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure
 
pkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of virtualmin-base:
virtualmin-base depends on dovecot-common; however:
Package dovecot-common is not configured yet.
virtualmin-base depends on dovecot-imapd; however:
Package dovecot-imapd is not configured yet.
virtualmin-base depends on dovecot-pop3d; however:
Package dovecot-pop3d is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing virtualmin-base (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
dovecot-common
dovecot-imapd
dovecot-pop3d
virtualmin-base
 
FATAL - 2011-09-01 00:07:13 - Fatal Error Occurred: Something went wrong during installation: 0
FATAL - 2011-09-01 00:07:13 - Cannot continue installation.
FATAL - 2011-09-01 00:07:14 - Attempting to remove virtualmin repository configuration, so the installation can be
FATAL - 2011-09-01 00:07:14 - re-attempted after any problems have been resolved.
FATAL - 2011-09-01 00:07:14 - Removing temporary directory and files.
FATAL - 2011-09-01 00:07:14 - If you are unsure of what went wrong, you may wish to review the log
FATAL - 2011-09-01 00:07:14 - in /root/virtualmin-install.log

Well, after some Google searching I determined that the problem may be related to a bad hostname set on the server. This was a little confusing because the install also detected this at the beginning and asked me what I would like the hostname set to. However, it appears that providing the hostname did not make a difference because Virtualmin was not able to set it.

I first tested the hostname to see if this was the problem by doing:

$ hostname -f

Sure enough, it warned that the hostname was a problem. So here is how I fixed things:

First, I had to set the hostname on the server (I use sudo, but you could be logged in as root or change to superuser with su.):

# sudo vi /etc/hostname

In vi you would edit the hostname to be a fully qualified domain name (FDQN) and saving. (click “i” to enter insert mode, then “esc” to stop, and hit “ZZ” to save and close. Note: these are capital “ZZ”.)

Second, this requires a restart of the hostname service to apply the change. (Note: you can use ‘restart’ instead of stop and start.)

# sudo /etc/init.d/hostname stop
# sudo /etc/init.d/hostname start

Third, I had to then update my hosts file to also reflect the change. (click “i” to enter insert mode, then “esc” to stop, and hit “ZZ” to save and close. Note: these are capital “ZZ”.)

# sudo vi /etc/hosts

IMPORTANT: If you do not include the “shortname” after the hostname applications will still not consider this a FDQN.

Example of what should be in the hosts file when you are done:

127.0.0.1     myhome.domain.com myhome

After doing these three steps I was able to successfully install Virtualmin with no issues.

Published by

Adam

Speaker, author, consultant, OSS contributor, SoFloPHP UG and SunshinePHP Conf organizer, RunGeekRadio Host, Long distance runner and ultra marathoner.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *