Recently I had the need to create a bat script that could be executed by the Windows Scheduled Tasks. The purpose was to copy files from one server to another as a cheap way to backup files created by MSSQL backing up the databases. Here is the .bat file contents (cleaned up to protect sensitive data):
set backupcmd=xcopy /s /c /d /e /h /i /r /y
echo # # # Moving files
%backupcmd% "%sourcedrive%\directory_to_backup" "%backupdrive%\directory_to_store_backup"
echo # # Moveing Complete!
(NOTE: I am doing this backup via an internal network and using a user account that exists on both systems. Security may dictate that you handle this differently based on your circumstances.)
Notice that for the backupdrive I am calling another Windows server and using the d$. This would require that the Windows Scheduled Task be executed using a user that is trusted on both machines. Also you could specify a local directory on the same server if you did not need to copy the files to another server.
Continue reading Windows backup bat script using xcopy
Well, I installed Windows Vista 1 1/2 months ago. During that time I dealt with many driver problems, software issues, and quirks. But the end has come. Today Windows Vista decided it was not Genuine, and that I needed to activate it. Of course it is Genuine, and it had already been activated, so I put in a quick (HAH!) call to Microsoft to activate it after the automated method of doing it over the web failed.
Continue reading Goodbye Windows Vista
Well, I finally did it. I decided it was time to upgrade my P4 1.2 Ghz to a shiny new Athlon 64 Dual Core 3.2 Ghz. This was brought on because of a couple of problems. First I only had 1GB of RAM in my old system, and on certain occasions I found myself running out of memory when editing images. Also, I was becoming tired of waiting on my IDE drives to give me what I asked for. Plus, my install of Windows XP Pro was almost 2 years old and was in need of cleaning.
Continue reading Upgrade to Windows XP 64 bit and new system
I was having major problems getting Subversion to work when working remotely. After searching all over the place, I finally found a bunch of fixes that added together was my answer. So I am putting them here all here.
First, I am using the standard install of Fedora Core 4 with Apache 2 and Subversion from the ISO. (Of course you will need to make sure that you have Apache up and running.)
Continue reading Getting Subversion working remotely