Well, I had the pleasure/frustration of recently creating some patch cables. The problem was that I did not know what order the internal twisted pairs should be in. But here is the lesson I learned, and how to properly create a patch cable.
ore than a week ago I wrote about getting Subversion running remotely. However, now that I have multiple people using it remotely I want to know when someone commits changes. I have come to find out that this is very simple to do using hooks. However, I did run into a little trouble configuring it. So here are my findings.
With a default install of Fedora Core 4, Apache 2, and Subversion you can follow my example and everything should work fine.
Recently I have been using Darwin Streaming Media Server for some small movies. However, I quickly found out that when I rebooted the server Darwin does not automatically start up with it. It was necessary to start it manually each time the server was rebooted or started. Needless to day I find this very inconvenient. So I decided to write a startup script. It was really very easy, as you will see below.
Continue reading Automating startup of Darwin Streaming Server
I was having major problems getting Subversion to work when working remotely. After searching all over the place, I finally found a bunch of fixes that added together was my answer. So I am putting them here all here.
First, I am using the standard install of Fedora Core 4 with Apache 2 and Subversion from the ISO. (Of course you will need to make sure that you have Apache up and running.)
Everything went pretty smooth while upgrading a server for a customer. I was moving them from Fedora Core 3 to Fedora Core 4. This also meant that PHP 5 was installed instead of PHP 4, and MySQL 4.1 was installed instead of MySQL 3.23. All was working smoothly except one of the websites on the server was having some major issues. The pages would not display, and $HTTP_POST_VARS and $HTTP_GET_VARS were not working correct.
I did not design the site, so I was not familiar with how the $_POST and $_GET were used within the code. After opening the files I quickly saw the problem. In the PHP.ini there is a new setting that, by default, only looks for the short forms of these predefined variables. In other words, it doesn’t know what $HTTP_POST_VARS or $HTTP_GET_VARS are. But it recognizes $_POST and $_GET with no problem.
After changing the setting in the PHP.ini all is working fine. Luckily the previous programmer did an ‘ok’ job.
The setting in the PHP.ini that needs to change is:
register_long_arrays = Off
This is located in the “Data Handling” section about 1/3rd of the way down the file. (If you followed the default installation of Fedora Core 4.)